Nothing says “Buenos Dias” like a perfect helping of eggs Latin American style. If you love eggs and you love Latin American food, you can’t go wrong with a region-inspired breakfast dish this weekend: Huevos Rancheros. Here’s a rundown on how to get your weekend started off right by making this flavorful dish using high-quality Norco Ranch eggs.
For healthy Huevos Rancheros, here are the ingredients you need:
- cilantro leaves to use for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. of Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. of red onion, finely chopped
- 4 warm corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- Cooking spray (nonstick)
- 1/4 tsp. of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. of chili powder, ground
- 1 (4-oz.) can of diced green chiles
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. of olive oil
- 1) Heat your oil in a nonstick skillet that is medium in size over medium to high heat
- 2) Pour the onion into the skillet and cook it, stirring often for four to five minutes. In the end, the onion should be translucent
- 3) Pour the green chiles and tomatoes into the skillet and cook them as well. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- 4) Add salt and chili powder to the dish, stirring frequently. After five minutes, remove the dish from the heat and set it aside.
- 5) Now, use spray to coat a bigger nonstick skillet, and heat it over medium heat.
- 6) Place the eggs into the larger skillet one at a time. Make sure that the eggs whites do not touch. Allow the eggs to cook for three minutes while covered. Then, take off the lid and keep cooking eggs until their yolks reach the consistency you desire. Finally, remove this skillet from the heat.
- 7) Apply the onion mixture to the top of each tortilla, and top this mixture with egg. Then, place the cheese and red onion on the tortilla. At last, garnish your dish with cilantro if desired.
Why Huevos Rancheros?
Huevos Rancheros are the perfect way to fill up with plenty of proteins and nutrients ahead of a busy day (a large egg contains six grams of protein). The best part? The dish is low in calories (each egg contains just 71 calories), according to Norco Ranch. In just 35 minutes, you can have four servings of this delectable and satisfying breakfast dish — plenty for the entire family to enjoy.