Fish is nutrient dense, which is why it is one of the healthiest meats you could eat. Combine it with eggs and you have a smorgasbord of high-quality protein, minerals, and vitamins on a plate. For a delicious summer meal that is quick to prepare, try poached salmon Brussels sprout slaw and a poached egg using Norco Ranch eggs.
For this scrumptious meal, all you need is 10 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes of cook time to create four servings. The ingredients you need include the following:
- 1 leek, light green parts only, halved lengthwise, then quartered
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 4 center-cut salmon fillets (about 5 oz each)
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives, divided
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 1) Combine the leek, celery, wine, lemon juice, bay leaf, salt, peppercorns, and six cups of cold water in a large saucepan; then, add the salmon, and bring everything to a simmer (the saucepan should have enough water to cover the salmon.)
- 2) Cook the salmon for about 15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- 3) Remove the salmon from the poaching liquid, and allow it to cool. Then, discard the poaching liquid.
- 4) Shave the Brussels sprouts using a mandolin or a chef’s knife. Then, whisk together the cider vinegar, 1 tbsp of chives, mustard, and salt and pepper in the vegetable oil. Drizzle this mixture over the Brussels sprouts, and toss them to coat them.
- 5) Divide the slaw among four plates, and top it with the salmon.
- 6) In a saucepan, pour in enough water so that the water comes three inches up the side of the pan, and place it over medium heat. Next, add the white vinegar, and bring it to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- 7) Crack the eggs in a small dish, and slide them one at a time into simmering water. Cook the eggs for three to four minutes or until the desired doneness has been reached. Then, remove them with a slotted spoon, and blot them on paper towels.
- 8) Top the salmon with the poached eggs. Finally, garnish the dish with the remaining chives.
You can use court bouillon as your poaching liquid if you wish (it is commonly used for fish), and you also have the option of replacing the lemon juice with ¼ cup of white wine. In addition, feel free to add sunflower or pumpkin seeds to your Brussels sprout salad for a little extra crunch. With this fast recipe, you can easily prepare a delicious and nutritious meal and still have plenty of time to get back out under the sun, according to Norco Ranch.